Saturday, August 15, 2009

menage a trois and other fun stuff....

Mother Nature has no intention of allowing me to learn french. For now. It's just another beautiful day, the sun shining bright, the pool beckoning with its tempting slide and perfect-acqua reflection. Feeling torn, I realized (or rationalized, whatever) that I am already ahead of the learning curve. I already know soooooo, sooooo, soooo much french and I didn't even know it. So, for today, I will compile a working list of words, phrases even(!) that I've been using all along:



escargot: started eating at age 9, just ask my mom, it's one of her favorite look-how-cultured-my-children-are- stories.....the story ended with me refusing to eat it as an adult, but still...



excuse-moi: a polite french phrase used to say excuse me, and more importantly, one easy to pronounce, I haven't been able to use it with a shred of sincerity. This one was never, ever used without a heavy dripping of sarcasm. I've been known to turn my cart around in the grocery store and come back down the other way to avoid using this phrase to pass by.

chauffeur: wishing I had one.

enfant terrible: glad not to have one.

poseur: Me in the '80's. And half of the '90's. Picture Siouxsie and the banshees meets Sylvia Plath meets Sixteen Candles. Not a great mix.

saute: Word I frequently use to describe any food I prepare, I find it gives the impression of something worthwhile (aka: french) being made.

soupe de jour: What said dish above normally turns into, with a healthy heaping of butter, parmesan and salt to disguise aroma of any charred remains.


a la mode: anything with ice cream, preferably vanilla....um, not sure this is accurate but one of most used french phrases.


menage a trois: Ok. I've never actually used this expression and sadly, no one has ever used it on me. But it is probably the most sought-after french expression (or experience). Combine it (sincerly) with above phrase (a la mode), and you've got yourself one truly french encounter, I'm guessing.


au revoir!










No comments:

Post a Comment